How’d you like to tour the Caribbean archipelago and see some of the world’s most exotic plants, rest on some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and try out new foods?
The Virgin Islands are a network of mega tourist locations that you definitely want to visit. What are the Virgin Islands, and what should you expect to see and do there?
What are some popular spots in the Virgin Islands, and what can you expect when you visit them? How can you cruise the Virgin Islands? Here is a 2022 guide for cruising the Virgin Islands.
Welcome to the Virgin Islands: What Are They?
The Virgin Islands are an archipelago in the Caribbean, and they are one of the most popular tourist hotspots in the entire world.
According to governance and authority, the Virgin Islands can be grouped into three:
- The United States Virgin Islands: These islands belong to the United States.
- British Virgin Islands: These are some of the British Overseas Territories.
- Spanish Virgin Islands: These islands are the easternmost ones and belong to Spain.
Why are they named the Virgin Islands?
History of the Virgin Islands
Christopher Columbus is responsible for naming the Virgin Islands. He named them after St. Ursula and the 11,000 virgins.
The Spanish name of the Virgin Islands is “Santa Úrsula y las Once Mil Vírgenes.”
The Virgin Islands were historically rich as they were the settlements of European colonists as well as some original inhabitants, the Arawak and Carib.
Popular Islands in the Virgin Islands
Here are some popular island ports that your cruise ship will most likely visit:
- St. Thomas: This is the most popular island as it offers world-renowned shopping, beautiful beaches, and so many attractions.
- St. John: This is the smallest of them all, but you get to enjoy car rental services, shopping, and lots more when you visit it.
- St. Croix: If you are looking for good food, visit St. Croix. This island has a lot of friendly residents.
Continue reading to learn why you should visit the Virgin Islands.
Why You Should Visit the Virgin Islands
While you may already have some cool reasons to visit the Virgin Islands, here are even more reasons to pack your bags and embark on a beautiful cruise to the Caribbean.
1. Explore Nature
The network of islands offers you the sight of exotic plants and animals. You also get to experience the feeling of traveling by sea as you will be completely surrounded by water.
If you want to experience nature at its peak, visit the Virgin Islands, as there is a lot of sunlight, water, sand, plants, and animals.
2. Meet People
One reason why people go on vacations is to build their network. It is easier to meet more people relevant to your career and education when you travel often.
Aside from building your network, you also get to meet the indigenous people of the Virgin Islands. You can study their way of living as well as learn a thing or two from them.
This is truly a valuable experience: You get to see the world from a unique perspective.
3. Try Out New Foods
Have you heard of the callaloo dish before? What about foods such as red grout, potato stuffing, and fritters? While you may have heard of these foods before, you should know that they are indigenous to the Virgin Islands.
If you are a lover of foods and would like to see how new foods are prepared, you should cruise the Virgin Islands.
One of the most common reasons why people go on vacations is to escape their busy lives and relax.
So long as you are traveling to cruise or tour the Virgin Islands, you will find soothing experiences and places to help you relax.
Why not relax on a cruise ship traveling across the archipelago? It truly is a soothing experience.
5. Learn More About Our History
Why do some Islands in the Virgin Islands belong to the United Kingdom? Why do others belong to the United States?
Exploring the islands will expose you to the history of America and the influence of Europe. You get to know why certain things are the way they are today. Awesome, right?
Visiting the Virgin Islands is an educative trip for lovers of history.
Now you know why you should visit the Virgin Islands. Continue reading to learn about some exciting tourist spots that you can visit.
Beautiful Tourist Attraction Spots in the Virgin Islands
Here are some beautiful attraction spots that you can visit in the Virgin Islands:
- Virgin Islands National Park, St. John: This is a must-visit location. This spot attracts over one million tourists annually, and if you are a lover of nature, you will want to visit this spot.
- Trunk Bay Beach and Underwater Snorkel Trail, St. John: Looking for magical waters? Visit this spot. This place has turquoise waters and cream-colored sand, so you get to feel like you are in a world of fantasy when you come here.
- Buck Island Reef National Monument, St. Croix: Are you looking for some of the most beautiful corals in the Virgin Islands? You get the chance to see them if you try snorkeling at this spot.
- Magens Bay, St. Thomas: Are you a lover of nature and would love to get that island feel? Visit this spot. You are welcomed by coconut palms and green hills as you approach this island.
- Cruz Bay, St. John: If you are a yacht person, you should look forward to visiting this place. Also, you can visit the nearby museum and library to learn more about the history of the Virgin Islands.
When you visit these recommended places, what can you do? Continue reading.
Wholesome Activities You Can Do in the Virgin Islands
According to the cruise ship that you use and your tourist package, activities differ.
Here are some common exciting and wholesome activities to try in the Virgin Islands:
- Snorkeling: Instead of just cruising across the Virgin Islands, why not swim in the water to explore the seascape and see fishes and corals that you may not have seen before? Surely, snorkeling is part of some Virgin Islands packages.
- Beach Break and Island Tour: Each cruise ship takes regular breaks on beaches, so you get to walk on the sands of different islands. You can also tour each island to learn more about the local customs and nature. You can tour the islands by renting cars or hiking.
- Sailing on a Sailboat: Some cruise packages come with sailboat trips, so you get to enjoy an exciting and firsthand sailing experience.
- Making New Friends: Of course, try to talk to someone new when you meet them so that you can build your network.
- Bonding with Old Friends and Family Members: If you are on vacation with a friend or family, you have enough time to bond more with them.
What would you like to do when you visit the Virgin Islands?
Virgin Islands Tour Cruise and Packages
Here are some common ships that cruise the Virgin Islands. You can click on the links to get all the details for each ship:
Why not visit the Virgin Islands today?
Now you know what you can do and where you can go when you cruise the Virgin Islands. Remember to make new friends and bond with old ones while you experience nature for what it is: beautiful and exciting.